Want To Live In The Arctic Circle? Build Your House Inside A Solar Geodesic Dome

Topcis related to science, space exploration, and technology.
Winston
Admin Founder
Admin Founder
United States of America

Want To Live In The Arctic Circle? Build Your House Inside A Solar Geodesic Dome

Postby Winston » Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:30 am

Popular Mechanics | By Sophie Weiner | Jan 7, 2017

That's what this Norwegian family did.

The Hjertefølger family began their experiment in sustainable living in 2013, when they moved to Sandhornøya Island in the Arctic Circle to build their home. There, they constructed a three story cob house from sustainable materials like sand and clay. To protect their beautiful home from the elements, they encased the whole thing in a solar geodesic dome from Solardome, lending the building a retrofuturist vibe, like something out of a 1950's brochure on space colonies.

The dome does a few things for the Hjertefølgers: it dramatically lowers their heating expenses, by trapping warm air inside the home, it protects the house from wind and snow with the high-strength of the geodesic design, and it filters out some of the UV radiation that comes through its glass planes.

Watch a documentary below to see the Hjertefølgers' idyllic lifestyle and an explanation of the sustainable systems they've put in place, including water filtration and sewage.

https://vimeo.com/151048885

SOURCE

This seemed pretty cool to me. I thought I'd share it. :)

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<✲✲>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"When you loved someone, you loved him,
and when you had nothing else to give,
you still gave him love."

George Orwell 1984

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<✲✲>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Return to “Science, Space & Tech”