The Group welcomes everyone regardless of religious or political beliefs, nationality, race or gender. Everyone's opinion matters.

Trump Team Asks State To Name Those Working On Gender Equality

The place for political threads.
TopDog
Executive Moderator
Executive Moderator

Trump Team Asks State To Name Those Working On Gender Equality

Post by TopDog » Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:29 am

This is the kind of thing that freaks people out. President-elect Donald Trump's transition team has asked the State Department to list its workers who focus on gender equality and ending violence against women and sexual minorities. This echos an earlier request for the Energy Department to list employees who work on climate change.
Transition Team’s Request on Gender Equality Rattles State Dept.
New York Times

President-elect Donald J. Trump’s transition team this week asked employees at the State Department to submit details of programs aimed at promoting gender equality, including a list of the positions primarily focused on such issues, fanning fears within the agency that the incoming administration might roll back a cornerstone initiative of former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton.

The one-page memo, a copy of which was provided to The New York Times, asks for a summary “outlining existing programs and activities to promote gender equality, such as ending gender-based violence, promoting women’s participation in economic and political spheres, entrepreneurship, etc.”

It also asks for information on positions dedicated to those activities, as well as how much funding was directed to these programs in 2016. The responses were due by 5 p.m. on Wednesday, the same day the questionnaire was circulated within the department.

gb2000ie
Chief Engineer
Chief Engineer

Re: Trump Team Asks State To Name Those Working On Gender Equality

Post by gb2000ie » Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:43 am

This stinks of a witch hunt.

It is also deeply unfair. Either Trump doesn't understand how government works (not impossible), or, he is intentionally stepping outside of the democratic norms to expand the power of the executive.

The reason this is unfair is that the carreer public servants don't set policy - the political appointees do that. The professional public servants do what they are told to do by their political masters. So, the same employee will work on Republican projects when the Republicans are in charge, and Democratic projects when the Democrats are in charge. They are not setting the agenda, they are not making the decisions. When policy changes, they change what they do. A witch hunt against these people for simply doing their jobs under a Democratic administation is deeply unjust.

B.

Winston
Admin Founder
Admin Founder

Post by Winston » Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:06 am

I trust President Trump. His transition team may be asking for this information rather than Trump. In addition I think we shouldn't make any assumptions about asking for information. I'm pretty sure that's what I would be told if Obama's transition team in 2008 were asking for some lists of programs and people. I'm pretty sure they did ask for such lists and names but of course he was the darling of the press.

I admit that this is worrisome on the face of it. But who's to say they aren't planning on increasing funding and promoting gender equality? Do you know for a fact they aren't? Don Jr. is a staunch supporter of LGBTQ rights and Melania & Ivanka are the same about Women's rights. So let's wait until we know a little more before we burn them at the stake.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<✲✲>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"When you loved someone, you loved him,
and when you had nothing else to give,
you still gave him love."

George Orwell 1984

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<✲✲>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

gb2000ie
Chief Engineer
Chief Engineer

Post by gb2000ie » Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:35 am

Because Trump is not yet president, all we can do is watch the transition for indications of how his presidency will go. That'll give us a suggestion of what is to come, but no more. Maybe your faith will prove justified, and my scepticism overly cautious.

But, to be honest, I am not holding out much hope. At every point on this rollercoaster ride we have been told that when he crosses the next hurdle he will change and become more presidential. So far, that simply has not happened - Trump has remained reliably Trump. This great stateman we keep being promised is hidden within has yet to show himself.

My intellect is telling me all the signs are negative - as I see it, the evidence implies he will be a very bad president. But, I can say with all honestly that I will be genuinely happy if it turns out I have read the clues wrong.

B.

dargelos
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by dargelos » Sat Dec 24, 2016 2:01 am

"So let's wait until we know a little more before we burn them at the stake."
this apply to Muslims too?